|Our box of chicks|
We drove slowly over the Prince Alfred pass again, and the chicks did not make a sound all the way. Not even one!
|Jan hard at work on the coop|
Having arrived home, and knowing we had not yet completed their new home, we had temporarily borrowed a chick-box from our neighbor Gary. :-) This would keep the chicks warm and dry till they got a little bigger. And we set about finishing the coop. Most of the structure was done, though we needed to clad it still, and just add some finishing touches like the chicken wire, some hatches for them to go in and out of, and some other sundry things.. We ended up borrowing Gary's chick-box for the best part of the following month.
|The basic structure completed - more or less...|
|The Chookie - complete...almost|
We managed to get the coop almost completely covered by recycling the old worn zinc from our stoep. But we didn't have enough for the whole coop, so we had to use some builders plastic for the back. This would keep out the worst rain and wind at least for the time being.
We were still using Gary's chick-box at that stage, and the chicks were thriving. After about 6 weeks they were too big for the chick-box, so we organised a lamp for them to stay warm, and a feeder, and water trough for them in their new home. At this point we still had not lost one single one, and they were all happy. :-)
|The little chicks in Gary's Chick-box|
We were having a little difficulty telling them apart though, and only recently have we been able to actually tell who is roosters, and who is hens...
|One Koek-koek chick..|